Pet Wellness Exams in Appleton
North Heights Veterinary Clinic is your full-service veterinarian in Appleton. We offer several different veterinary services such as our comprehensive pet wellness exams. Here, you'll find everything you need to know about our pet wellness exams, including what to expect and how pet exams can benefit your dog, cat, or other animals.
What Is a Pet Wellness Exam?
A pet wellness exam is a complete physical examination of your pet. The exam includes a traditional physical exam performed in front of you by the veterinarian as well as some diagnostic testing. These tests can include checking a stool sample, urinalysis, blood work, and more. Often, a pet wellness exam is performed when your pet is due for vaccinations or before surgery, but it can be performed at any time.
What to Expect
We provide your pet with the same attention and affection as we give our own pets. However, we understand that some pet owners are nervous when sending their animals in for an exam. It's important to note that these exams may vary a bit based on the age, health, and species of your animal.
- One of our veterinarians will perform a physical examination from nose to tail. We will record your pet's weight and check the vital signs. We will also look for any abnormalities, listen to the heart, check inside the ears, and examine the eyes. Your pet's body will be examined for any suspicious lumps.
- Your pet may undergo urine, stool, and blood testing. Blood tests can be used to detect infections, organ disease, or other medical issues, like anemia. Depending on the outcome of the physical exam, a thyroid evaluation may be recommended.
- Your pet's teeth and gums will be examined and a dental cleaning may be recommended.
- A heartworm test will likely be performed to rule out heartworm disease and administer a new prescription for heartworm preventative medication.
- Additional tests may be recommended based on your pet's age, medical history, or current medical condition.
Why Pet Exams Are Important
Pet wellness exams are an essential component of preventative health care. These exams can help detect certain health issues, so they can be treated in the early stages. Such health issues can range from simple weight loss or gain to dental disease, diabetes, heart disease, and more. Pet exams help identify changes that may go unnoticed at home. Early detection and diagnosis of certain diseases can greatly improve the lifespan and overall well-being of your furry friend.
Call Our Local Veterinarian in Appleton Today!
Our expert veterinarians at North Heights Veterinary Clinic hope that you and your pets visit us. Call us today at (920) 739-7816, for more information about our comprehensive pet wellness exams or to set up an appointment.